[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 13:54:47 CDT 2010

On 30 Oct 2010, at 00:30, Alex Beston wrote:

>> ==> I'm working with Joomla in this case
>
> Ahh, the penny drops. Not saying its your sites fault, but CMS's are
> slow, particularly sharepoint, and have had the daily work nightmares
> to go with it. How much rendering is done from database? is there
> anything which can be statically cached, only using dynamic content
> for a lot of content-changing area of the site? or are you already
> doing that Bob?

Good CMSs (dunno about Joomla, but Drupal certainly does) allow you to cache objects and whole pages, and do so differently for different roles. So anonymous users will effectively see static pages, all cached.

Have you also looked at Varnish?
http://www.varnish-cache.org/

However, Bob reported
> The site in question commonly loads the home page in about 2 1/2 seconds at home where I have average 1.5Mbps broadband.
which suggests that the problem isn't on the server

But what you probably want to do is some load testing to be sure:
http://blog.apps.chicagotribune.com/2010/07/08/bees-with-machine-guns/

Cheers
Martin