[thelist] User-linked content

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 13:07:35 CST 2010

On 15 Nov 2010, at 03:25, Mohan Arun wrote:

> And further, is there a creative commons license type where I can say
> "anyone can use this for non commercial and non profit making
> purposes, but if you are going to make money out of it, you very well
> can, but then you need to contact me so we can work out how to share
> the profits..." As far as I have seen, there is no way to specify this
> kind of clause in the Creative Commons license? It seems to be
> either-or choice between Commercial and Non-commercial? Am I missing
> something obvious?

Yes.

cc-licensing something merely says "this is what you can do without further discussion - I grant these permissions to all"

It does not restrict you from offering it in parallel under a different license.

Thus you can cc-license as non-commercial, and in parallel note be open to offers for commercial use. If you can neatly specify a mechanism, that's even easier.

It's what Flickr do very well - example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinb/4570132139/
is free for non-commercial usage as long as you credit me, and use as-is (rather than say incorporate within a montage).
If you want to use it in any other way (eg commercially), then please use Getty Images as an intermediary.
http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/

Cheers
Martin