[thelist] hasLayout triggering & best practice

Will willthemoor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 12:33:11 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Barney Carroll <barney.carroll at gmail.com>wrote:

>   1. Could it be argued that *any* layout (necessitating complex
>   absolute/relative positioning, overflows, nested lists, etc), carefully
>   built with a thorough knowledge of the Trident box model in mind can
> avoid
>   having to artificially trigger hasLayout?

No. :) Well, there may be but there are too many possible layouts in this
web 2.1 world to be able to answer that reliably.

>   Is it reasonable to assume that this, along with the article's stated
> preference
>   for conditional comments (rather than CSS syntax-based browser
> targeting),
>   are purely down to a distaste for invalid CSS? I'm not particularly
>   interested in the legitimacy of that distaste — but I would be interested
> if
>   there were other reasons I may be missing.

I don't know of a situation where zoom:1; has created an issue for me. There
have been times when it wasn't my silver bullet but I've never seen it break
anything. I much prefer to use it or other related hacks (4 times out 5,
setting position: relative on an element fixes IE6 for me) in my main
stylesheet because who wants to chase IE6 styles around? Well, lots of
people, it would appear. I'm not one of them.

Will