[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Dec 27 16:44:45 CST 2010

I downloaded and installed a CMS component, a sitemap.xml generator on
one of my sites and pressed the 'go' button.  OMG! It caused a huge
spike. I watched it create a new zip code and was seemingly helpless to
stop it. The cancel button did nothing, nor did quitting the browser
window.  The spike averaged about 15 and lasted over 10 minutes.

Afterwards I look at the sitemap.xml file - about 7500 lines (256KB),
1200+ files got indexed.  The entries look good, but I'm wondering if
this is going to cause more problems down the road than is worth.  Will
the well-behaving search engines honor this file when they index the
site - and thus index all the files every time they visit or does it
need to be submitted to google & co for it to be read?

Feedback?

Any takers on the MAC way of running these Windows commands:

%  ipconfig /flushdns
%  ipconfig /release
%  ipconfig /renew

--