[thelist] Online Marketing Resource

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 01:50:56 CST 2011

On 9 Jan 2011, at 14:25, Fred Jones wrote:

> @Matt
>> This is precisely what I am talking about. Is marketing the key to the
>> next growth phase of his business, or is it a gamble that he isn't
>> convinced will have any effect?
>
> Yes, he isn't convinced. He *thinks* it would but he's not convinced, no.

Having a testable hypothesis, held with a degree of skepticism is a good place to be, as it starts the conversation off on the right foot regarding verifiable results - anyone giving fluffy answers at this point isn't worth talking to.

That said, it still won't guarantee results, and your marketeer will want paying anyway, but you can approach it on the basis of limited commitment testing, rather than a fully committed permanent endeavour.

If you want your marketeer to have real skin in the game, they'll understandably insist on influence on product & target audience, not just on the content of the promotional activity.

Cheers
Martin