[thelist] SharePoint to Cognos

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:13:00 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Dwayne Conyers <dwacon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a client who wants to build reports in Cognos using the data in a
> SharePoint collection.
>
> My strategy is to do ETL to move the data into Microsoft SQL Server, which
> will feed data to Cognos.  I have the Embarcadero suite to do data modeling
> and etc...
>
> Any thoughts on alternatives to that strategy... or lessons learned that
> might be useful?

I see nothing wrong with your strategy based on the requirements
you've laid out. Although, those are rather general requirements.

The common belief is that BI is easy. But the stats on BI project
failure rate show that it isn't. I say this only to caution you not to
underestimate the effort.

One thing I don't see in your email is what you're going to to use to
"do ETL". You don't necessarily need a tool to do this, by the way.
You could simply use views to bend the data as you need it, and then
do simple SQL (e.g. insert into targetTable select * from sourceView)
to perform the actual move. Whether this is wise depends a lot on
details about your scenario that I don't know.

Good luck,

--
Matt Warden
Austin, TX, USA