[thelist] SharePoint to Cognos

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Jan 14 11:48:43 CST 2011

Dwayne Conyers asked:

>>I have a client who wants to build reports in Cognos using the data in a
>>SharePoint collection.

>>My strategy is to do ETL to move the data into Microsoft SQL Server, which
>>will feed data to Cognos.  I have the Embarcadero suite to do data modeling
>>and etc...

>>Any thoughts on alternatives to that strategy...

Hi Dwayne,

Sounds like a good general plan, I think.  However, I've never worked with SharePoint collection objects so I don't know much about what level of pain that entails.

As a general remark I would simply suggest keeping as close an eye as possible on data quality, (and especially on reference data quality), as you can.

Good Luck!
RonL.

Whose presentation this week requesting non-locking, read only production table (and custom SQL) access for SuperUsers went surprising well.  ;-)