[thelist] video editing on linux

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Feb 9 21:03:10 CST 2011

Between the responses I received and some googling I now have some
alternatives including:

* Avidemux - Tested and it will do the basic chores; probably good enough.
* Kino
* Open Video Editor - Somewhat tested, having trouble getting to some
specific frames in the timeline where the master file needs to be split.
Still dabbling.
* Pitivi Video Editor
* Kdenlive - Could not get it installed on my desktop, but laptop yes.
* Openshot - Install procedure complicated for me.

Cinelerra was the top choice on many lists but the install doesn't seem
to be working, maybe offline, I don't know. Procedure I found: |wget -q
http://akirad.cinelerra.org/pool/addakirad.deb && sudo dpkg -i
addakirad.deb && rm addakirad.deb && sudo apt-get update

Slightly different quality in front of me - video quality. To convert
the originals, either .mov or .vob I planned to do command line using
ffmpeg or mencoder. If there is something better tell me (I do prefer
command line linux, no windows).

% mencoder $INPUT -of lavf -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=768
-ofps 25 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=32 -srate 22050 -vf scale=720x540
-o $OUTPUT

The command works fine, but I see some dropoff in quality. Text overlay
on the original is just a little muddy. I'm running some tests using
various bitrates, sizes and other to see if this can be improved.

-Thx, Bob