[thelist] site redesign: what will break SEO? what will keep existing Google juice?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 11:37:10 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Joel D Canfield <joel at bizba6.com> wrote:
> prospect has an old hand coded site with a WordPress blog tacked on. home
> page of the existing site has loads of Google juice.
>
> if we simply migrate all the content to WP at the same domain, how will SEO
> and Google's rankings be affected?

map new urls to old using mod_rewrite, and make sure you use the R=301
flag to indicate permanent move. make sure you put these flags at the
top of your .htaccess and also use the L flag, because in these cases
you don't want to his wordpress's own rules later on down the
processing stream.

google will understand the site reorganization, as long as you explain
it to the googlebot.

--
Matt Warden
Austin, TX, USA