[thelist] Using Flash on a website

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:08:23 CDT 2011

On 23 Mar 2011, at 06:12, Steven Streight <steven.streight at gmail.com> wrote:
> But Flash is useful for video like YouTube. If your iPhone doesn't render
> Flash objects, you're severely restricted in viewing videos.

YouTube, DailyMotion et al provide HTML5 video for iOS devices. I've built multi-platform dynamic video player widgets (none in live environments or outside of NDAs at the mo, sorry) using free open source software for format conversion falling back to Flash where necessary and possible [1], but even in those cases, had I had more of a role in negotiating the work order with the client, I would have told them to use YouTube and let it take care of the forking.

That, at least, is a solved problem.

[1] Excellent article on the subject here: http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

Regards,
Barney