[thelist] Versioning SNAFU: Retrieving front-end files from browser cache

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 05:11:03 CDT 2011

Hi guys,

Suffering from an irony overdose after arrogantly dismissing my
colleagues' version control methods, putting loads of overtime into a
project Friday night, then finding that my work has been over-written
by my colleague getting the latest from source (operating in a system
where everyone uses the same checkout). Basically, days of front-end
work have been lost.

I'm currently labouring under the fevered hope that I can somehow
retrieve the CSS from my browsers' cache — I was regularly refreshing
IE, FF, Chrome throughout development Friday night. IE is set to
delete all browsing history on exit, so that's a non-starter. Chrome
has the overwrite — I refreshed the file before I'd fully understood
what had happened. Firefox may yet have the file I left in a finished
state on Friday night somewhere in its cache, although a search by
file name reveals nothing on my local disk.

Any insights?

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com