[thelist] QR Codes

Jon Molesa rjmolesa at consoltec.net
Wed Apr 20 09:46:02 CDT 2011

> And more.  Maybe I just think these thoughts, but gee, having a non-human readable code on physical media in a publicly accessible area ... what could go wrong?    I mean, it's not like any Anonymous individual could print their own QR code on sticky back paper and walk up and overlay it on a lawn sign promoting a Scientologist political candidate, right?
>
> And we'll need a new word for the man-in-the-middle phishing attack opportunities ... cuz you only thought that code took you to a 'charity x' donation site.

Precisely the reason I'm so excited about the proliferation of 2D bar codes. I've half joked about setting up a malicious site that exploits cell phone browsers, creating a 2D bar code, printing up a bunch of stickers and placing it on top of any I see out in public. From a security standpoint the user might as well be clicking any random url that comes along via email, facebook, or twitter. Oh wait...nm.

The point is that I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, and as more and more businesses start to use 2D bar codes we'll see more exploits.

--
Jon Molesa
rjmolesa at consoltec.net