[thelist] Automated testing of hundreds of redirects

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:43:22 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> wrote:
>> The ideal situation would be where I can call the old URL, inspect the
>> Location header returned, and then ensure it is as specified in the
>> Excel mapping.
>> If I can't do that, then I could wget (or similar) each old and new
>> URL and compare the length of the response of each pair within some
>> small range (because there could be a small amount of dynamic content,
>> so I can't do a strict diff). This seems messy.
> curl --head http://turmel.org/ 2>/dev/null \
>        |grep '^Location:' \
>        |cut -d\  -f2-

Phil, sorry I thought I had responded before the holiday weekend. This
looks to be exactly what I need.

As I suspected, the approach was going to be the difference between a
few minutes effort and a few hours effort. Thanks for lending your
brain cycles to helping me keep it to the former.

Take care,

Matt Warden
Austin, TX, USA