[thelist] MS Table Join Question (from Excel)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon May 9 13:04:02 CDT 2011

Hi Gang,

I have a simple (custom) query hitting an MS SS7 backend.  It's a four table join that looks kinda like this:

Select a buncha junk
FROM Table_1 AL1, Table_2 AL2, table_3 AL3, Customer AL4 WHERE
(AL1.PART=AL2.Sku AND AL1.Code=AL3.CODE AND AL4.CUSTOMER_NUMBER=AL1.CUSTOMER_NUMBER)
AND (other conditions)

The problem is that this AL4 customer reference table may not be complete ... so I need a leftjoin/rightjoin on that last bit in the where clause to pull in all records from table AL1 regardless of whether they match up in AL4 or not.

Can I buy a clue on the syntax?

I've tried:
* right join on AL4.CUSTOMER_NUMBER=AL1.CUSTOMER_NUMBER)
* RIGHT JOIN ON AL4.CUSTOMER_NUMBER=AL1.CUSTOMER_NUMBER)
* AL4.CUSTOMER_NUMBER+=AL1.CUSTOMER_NUMBER)
* AL4.CUSTOMER_NUMBER(+)=AL1.CUSTOMER_NUMBER)

But none of those worked.

;-(

Thanks,
RonL.