[thelist] IE6 returns fails to parse PNG files

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Tue May 24 10:47:19 CDT 2011

On 24 May 2011 16:37, Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Not appearing at all?  IE6 never coped very well with transparent PNG, but
> IIRC, it drew a black background.  Is the background of your page also
> black?
>
> Are you using a script-based IE6 PNG fix?  If so you might just have a
> JavaScript error anywhere within your page preventing JS from executing.

Hiya Lee, thanks for the reply.

This is happening on a very basic level — literally giving a direct URI for
any PNG resource to IE's address bar returns a seemingly empty file. A link
to that PNG file, 'Save as' through the context menu, downloads fine. It has
the same issue with PNGs from the file system. So I'm fairly certain
something has gone fairly awry with Trident itself (again, other browsers,
modes of access are fine) … I just need to work out what that is.

http://barneycarroll.com/Trident-screws-PNGs-badly.png
http://barneycarroll.com/Trident-screws-PNGs-seriously-Im-not-lying.png

Regards,
Barney Carroll