[thelist] tracking spammers

Meshack meshack at hrts.org
Wed Jul 6 16:13:41 CDT 2011

One trick I used when making a form a while back was to put a blank form
field that is hidden from the human user. Bots will often fill out every
field on the form. You can then check, if the field was filled, then you
most likely have a bot.

I don't like checking for a match between name and username. My name is
unique enough I use it as my username for a lot of the websites I visit. I
would be really annoyed if I was blocked because a site thought I was a
spammer.

-Meshack