[thelist] GUI web builders

Dave Land land at aol.com
Fri Sep 9 13:17:52 CDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Patrick Horgan <phorgan1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> So I was just wondering.  How many of you gals/guys use GUIs to design
>> your pages and how many don't?  If you don't, why not?
>
> I don't because 1) when I started doing web development -- 1993 --
> there weren't any, and 2) when they became available and I tried a
> few, using them was slower than writing markup by hand, so there
> didn't seem much point.   :-)
>
> (And yes, most, if not all, produce hideous markup besides.)

I remember hearing folks at the 2nd International Web Conference in Chicago
in October '94 say "nobody will be editing HTML in the future: it will all
be generated programmatically".

I'm grateful that didn't come entirely true: well-formed HTML is still
something better done by humans.

I do all my coding with vim or, occasionally, BBEdit. Tried Homesite,
DreamWeaver and a handful of lesser competitors  over the last 17 years,
but not one seemed better/faster/more effective than coding by hand.

Dave "Official Web Old Fart, but not as old as Hassan" Land