[thelist] this date in history

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 10:28:51 CDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
> so you have a site with a lot of date-specific historical content. seems
> easy enough to run a query against the date and pull some data to populate a
> this date in history box.
>
> well, except that the visitor (public) will probably not be in the same
> timezone as the server.
>
> is there a way to do this which doesn't involve some client-side javascript?
> point me...

The short answer is no, not really. More:
http://blogs.windwardreports.com/davidt/2010/04/can-we-please-get-a-time-zone-in-the-http-request-header.html

I would recommend pulling down both events, writing them both into the
HTML and hiding one with CSS based on the server time or your best
guess of the client's timezone, and then use a bit of javascript to
toggle the display of both if it determines that the client is in a
place where the current day is different than you thought.

--
Matt Warden
http://mattwarden.com