[thelist] Anti-hacker / Security monitoring

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Mar 4 10:21:17 CST 2013

This is a bit of a poll. primarily intended for those managing CMS sites
- Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, other...

I've used a company in the past that offers so-called anti-hacker
software. It works proactively, must be installed on every account, is
pricey at about $15 to $20 per month.

There is another service (and perhaps others)  thatdoes scanningof web
pages, not necessarily framework files. Costs less for smaller sites
(based upon # pages) but on larger sites, the value is negligible. And
of course is reactive as opposed to proactive.

I take other steps to secure CMS sites, file permissions, .htaccess,
varying passwords, changing admin stuff, locations, etc, and routine
backups, but it's comforting knowing that there is proactive prevention
in place as well.  The problem - MaPa businesses don't appreciate the
extra pass-through monthly charges.

What do others think?

-Bob