[thelist] allowing annotations on a website

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 09:34:17 CDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Joel Canfield <joel at spinhead.com> wrote:
> I'd like to make my books available as websites/pages, not just ereaders
> and print.
>
> Is there a method to allow a reader to annotate a website, as you'd mark up
> a print book or highlight/annotate on an ereader, without requiring the
> visitor to install software beyond the browser they're already using?

Doesn't sound conceptually different from any other browser-based
CMS: save user-generated data associated with a given document.

It would be relatively easy to knock together a POC but the devil's
in the details: authentication (local signup? OAuth?), access control,
annotation UI, searchability, mobile-friendly?, etc. etc.

I see lots of potential for feature creep, but it's a great idea :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan