[thelist] massive disk space for image storage

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Sun Aug 18 15:37:32 CDT 2013

Taking the request at face value: let's assume you need 1/2 that now and last half within 3 years.

You might be better off with a cheap colo for your own hardware and a few external raid2 devices. 1/2 a rack is about $600/month, (maybe you can find a 1/4 rack), and a 12 bay QNap ($2,500 plus hard drives, 4tbs are about $175 each) can get you 12 -24tb (depending on how you co figure it there can be a 16gb cap on file system size. )

This type of unit has FTP / web interface etc. Might be worth the upfront costs and pay for itself based on cloud services.

Anthony Baratta