[DesDev] Changing content admin area

Tara Cleveland evolt at taracleveland.com
Thu Feb 5 12:12:18 CST 2004

Jeff and everyone else too,

<our very snipped conversation - hopefully it still makes sense>
>well, "just the way you asked" is an impossible task simply because no one
>has ever come to me with a spec describing how "they" wanted it built.

Well yes, I was being a bit facetious with the "fixed up just the way
you asked" bit.

>instead, i saw a need and thought i had time to implement it (more than a
>year ago, i'd guess, maybe two), but was unable to finish it.  since we have
>so few articles come through with images and/or associated files, it's been
>alot easier for me to just keep an eye out for articles that need to have
>stuff moved and do it myself rather than put more time into an app that a)
>wasn't requested, b) is likely going to result in *someone* being unhappy
>with the way it was built, and c) results in me having to do still more
>development to make "everyone" happy.

I understand that everyone is frustrated with the process. Let's try
and find a way to change things so that there's clear communication
between desdev and groups requesting changes.

I think more formalized specs is a good idea - not just for this, but
for any future changes. Can I draw up a spec sheet that content
and/or others can fill out to request changes? Even if it's as simple
a list of questions that they answer and then copy and paste into an
email and send to desdev? Would that help you - and everyone else -
to be able to budget time and figure out what exactly has been
requested? I'm thinking something more formalized might help
*everyone* - other evolt.org groups to figure out exactly what it is
they're asking for and desdev - for both back-end and the front-end
changes? What does everyone think? Or is there already some process
that I'm not aware of?

>the other people with access and ability are morgan (who's always busy i 'm
>sure) and judah.

Okay. Thanks. I'll talk to Judah then and see how much time he can
offer since Morgan seems pretty busy.

>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>>  From: Tara Cleveland [mailto:evolt at taracleveland.com]
>>
>>  > >  1. content members can archive messages that are
>>  > >     not supposed to be answered
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

>done.  it actually took longer to assess the time necessary than it did to
>actually make the change.  how's that for ironic.
>
>while i was in there, i also noticed that only godmin could reset who had
>taken a message.  since i anticipate bitching about that as well, i opted to
>make that admin (content) access as well.

Great. Thanks a lot Jeff.

Okay (sorry, I need to get this straight so I can understand what
you've done without actually ever having seen what it is you're
talking about), you've changed it so that a content admin can change
the contact queue by setting a contact to "not needing a response"
and also they can change who's been recorded as taking the message?
Have I described it correctly?

Garrett, you've got admin privileges and you've poked around testing
it. Do both of you think we can go to Content and say that it's ready
and done?

Tara

--
---