[Javascript] height problem, part deux

Chris Basken chriz at basken.com
Mon Apr 30 16:08:27 CDT 2001

> >in rereading this, i'm wondering if i need the rel-DIV at all...
>
> No, you don't. Read out the .offsetHeight of the abs DIV (.clip.bottom in
> NN4) and you're ready.

interesting.  i'll try that, thanks.

> I assume you've discarded the idea of using a table throughout
> and ditch the
> DIV altogether. I don't see a better solution than yours straight away.

that's what it was, originally (and the rest of the template structure was
built on that logic).  it occurred to us that the mystery content that gets
stuck in [what was originally] the big TD might have abs-DIVs in them.
since the TD was offset from the page's upper left, that means any abs-DIVs
in the included content would have incorrect positioning values.

since we knew the offset, and it was going to be stable, it seemed to make
the most sense to stick an abs-DIV around the included content with that
offset.  freedom from NS4 was a big help here, since we didn't have to worry
about the nested layers issue.  the only problem was to make the big TD --
which was now empty in terms of flow content -- stretch out to fit the
abs-DIV.

thanks for your help!