[Javascript] Quashing Email Spiders

vindaloo at pixieparlour.com vindaloo at pixieparlour.com
Wed Dec 5 14:45:52 CST 2001

Hi Group!

I've just recently joined and thought I'd introduce myself, before asking a
question.  My name is Kyla and I'm a web designer.  I run my own web design
company in British Columbia, Canada and have been designing for the web for
about four years now.  I'm not really a coder, but I like to understand the
basics of how something works, and so here I am ready to soak up all your
knowledage about javascript!

I just found some nifty code for hiding email addresses (thanks to
netmechanic) from Email Spiders.  The only problems is that it uses HTML
text links and I'm using a link from an image.  The code is this:

<script language=javascript>
<!--
var contact = "Newsletter Editor"
var email = "news"
var emailHost = "netmechanic.com"
document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + email + "@" + emailHost+ ">"+
contact + "</a>" + ".")
//-->
</script>

Can you tell me if it'll still work if I take out the line that states:

var contact = "Newsletter Editor"

as this creates an HTML link on my page?

TIA and have a sunny day,

Kyla Phillips  :o)
the pixie parlour
www.pixieparlour.com