[Javascript] Window reference help

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 11:38:38 CDT 2001

It's been a while since I've been on this list (in
VB-Land for a year or so), but I'm back to JS and need
a big ol' whup upside the head, because I'm sure this
is really simple.

I have a frameset with a list of links to other
documents. The links open in a new window, using the
target=_blank attribute rather than window.open (not
my choice, and it can't be changed.) When a user makes
a change to the newly opened document and submits, I
need to close the window automatically, then refresh
the contents of one of the frames in the frameset. I
can close the window with no problem, but how do I
refer to the frame to be refreshed? It's not part of
parent.something or opener.something because the
"child" window was not a JS object.

I had thought of just putting a location.reload in the
onFocus event of the frame to be refreshed, but not
only would that occur every time the frame receives
focus, but it also requires the user to actually click
somewhere in there to give it focus.

Any ideas? My brain is still stuck in Microsoft
hell...

Thanks,

Esther Strom

=====