[Javascript] Email attachments called psihologija

Ben Curtis Quixote at LaMancha.org
Mon Jul 30 23:10:10 CDT 2001

>> if  you ever receive some email from anyone under subject psihologija, do
>> not open it for it is virus!!!
[snip]
[Serbia takes over New Zealand]
[snip]
> It is the Sircam Virus we are talking about.

Ah. The original responder could not have known you were talking about
Sircam, since Sircam puts a new subject line out for every email it sends.
I've been receiving about 3-20Mb of this virus per day since July 18, and
about 80% have a unique subject line. Truly annoying, but not really worth
the admonishment to:

> ALSO, DO NOT TAKE ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ANYONE. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS VIRUS,
> THE MOST DANGEROUS UNTIL NOW!!!

If you insist on posting virus warnings to lists or friends or whomever,
research it first and calmly let people know about what you have found.
Panic, mayhem, paranoia and fear in the cyber streets spread fast and can be
dangerous as well. I know of a fellow that tweaked his registry without a
backup first because he was terrified of this virus and rushed to fix it. He
now has lost everything. Had he waited 5 minutes, had he been patient, he
would have received my email with this link:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/FixSirc.com

and this link for instructions on virus removal:
www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm at mm.removal.tool.html

So, when a new virus crops up, take a deep breath, check your back-ups, get
informed, and stop clicking on attachments unless you know what that
extension means. Or, just use a Mac. :)

--
+Ben Curtis
...keeping carpal tunnel at arm's length.