[Javascript] Please confirm my doubts

Ben Curtis Quixote at LaMancha.org
Tue Jul 31 11:40:04 CDT 2001

    I'm wondering if anyone can confirm my doubts that JavaScript does not
have access to files on a computer. ie. If I had three folders on a computer
javascript could not read their names or the files in them dynamically (if
the files changed)?

Javascript can load local files into a page for read-only if you already
know the location and name, but can only interpret them as Javascript, HTML,
or CSS. JS does not have access to the file system controls, like the
ability to change a name or red a list of names. But, the usual
can't-access-info-from-another-server security model applies anyway, so a
script on your page cannot read the values of whatever it loaded up (at
least, now that Microsoft plugged *that* gaping hole scripts can't!).

To do what you are talking about is not possible so far as I know. I believe
you can do this with signed scripts (blech), or by giving permission to a
Java applet to venture outside its sandbox.

--
+Ben Curtis

"Most people use statistics the way a drunkard uses a lamp post,
more for support than illumination."