[Javascript] special characters and alert box......

Mathews, Lori K Lori.Mathews at pnl.gov
Fri Jun 1 09:43:20 CDT 2001

I found the following message and was wondering if you found how to put special
characters in an alert box.

hi, when i use the .html special code for umlauts in JavaScript they don't work.
for example: alert('\nKein gültiges Email-Adresse!'); returns literally
"gültiges". my question is, is it safe to go ahead and use the special
characters itself, as in: alert('\nKein g=FCltiges Email-Adresse!'); will the
umlaut "=FC" be seen correctly by all browsers? is text that is written with
pure JavaScript then always simply an ASCII string and is it therefore safe to
use these special characters? in the web page with my special characters i've
set the Charset correctly for the special characters i need, i think: <META
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1"> but i
don't know if this has any affect on special characters that are written in pure
JavaScript (ie., in an alert() ). thanks, tom

Lori Mathews
Battelle - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Applied Information Systems
509-375-6448