[Javascript] PROPOSAL for An Annotated JavaScript Project, Pls Give Your Feedback On This

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Tue Jun 5 12:05:27 CDT 2001

[new subject line to hopefully catch the eye of more of our list members
and a few added thoughts]

Just tossing an idea out for debate/discussion for those interested.

For those that may be interested, I'm proposing a project called "The
Annotated JavaScript Project". There may be already something like it, and
that's fine, don't want to reinvent the wheel, but so far I've only seen
JavaScripts offered with some install or use instructions, or minimal
annotations.  I propose that if enough people are interested in it (i.e.,
are interested in participating!), we would set up a repository of
JavaScripts that are *heavily* annotated: line by line.  Every single line
is annotated or explained.  There are different learning styles, for
instance: some people learn best from books, others from just jumping in,
others from watching someone first, and so forth.  I believe that Annotated
JavaScripts would be of great help for some folks.

We can approach this in different ways.  We could have a separate list just
for the project, though I'd prefer to keep it on this list, there are
members and lurkers who could benefit from the process.  Then there are
some "story" Perl scripts out there that I can set up where a JavaScript
script is posted and people can annotate any line they wish, it is "checked
out" so that only a person at a time can make comments/annotations.  And
you can comment on the comments.  Or just have people present their
annotations to the list, people discuss those annotations, and / or a
peer-reviewed approved version is then put up.  Peer-reviewed by any
interested, or have a volunteer panel/board.  I'm sure there are other ways
to approach this as well.

Anyway, let me know how you feel about it, and how best it should be done

TTFN,
David Merchant

Head, Systems Dept, Louisiana Tech University
merchant at latech.edu
JavaScript List Administrator (www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/)
Webmaster, HTML Encyclopedia (www.mountaindragon.com/html/)
Webmaster, Memorial Day Page: (www.usmemorialday.org/)