[Javascript] Draggable Layers

Ben Curtis Quixote at LaMancha.org
Thu Jun 21 19:08:41 CDT 2001

>> display a mini-thumbnail or something - one for each instance of
>> each item -
> What is a thumbnail technically? Is it just the original
> image displayed with different height width attributes?

That's what I would do. The image is already loaded, and in the cache. Also,
from a production standpoint, if I'm running the website and add a new item
to the purchasing database, then I only need one image and not two. One less
thing to forget.

>> Keep up the development! I can just imagine a whole new wave of shopping
>> cart design for visual people (like myself) at hip (read:
>> expensive) stores
>> like J.Crew and Banana Republic using your design...

Actually -- and sorry if I sound like I'm raining on parades here -- but I
sincerely think this sort of thing is very impressive but not too
functional. I haven't seen many sites that line up a lot of items side by
side, identified by image/name/price. Most sites follow the Amazon-type
architecture of lists and then one item per page.

So, my advice for future development would be to include some sort of
persistence. Assume one item per page; allow me to add the item to my cart
with dragging or one click -- but don't take me anywhere, just pop a layer
up with all the functionality of the shopping cart page on Amazon/etc. If
this shopping cart is available from any page -- and even persistent between
visits -- then I think you are moving toward seeing J.Crew and Banana
Republic and even Amazon use this.

Good luck! Great work!

+Ben Curtis

Envision a better world, and live as if it surrounded you.