[Javascript] Client Side anti-cache [was 1 MORE Question...]

Rodney Myers rodney at aflyingstart.net
Tue Jun 26 03:44:49 CDT 2001

Josiah,

Thanks for your reply. Please see my comments/needs below.

Josiah Gordon wrote:

> --------------
> As the pages may be medium sized say 25k 50K? and the prices will be valid
> for
> a while, I would like to
> a) Set an expiry date in a META tag (URL for format advice on that??)
> b) Have a script which after comparing system date to document.lastModfied
> would force a reload from the server if the gap between the two dates
> exceeded
> a given number of days - which would be set to coincide with the expiry date
> in
> a META tag - what we call "belt and braces" methods to achieve the desired
> end
> - display of valid in-date prices to customers.
> --------------
>
> Do you find that default caching methods are not working? When I view a
> static HTML page, update it on the server, then view the page again (with no
> explicit reload on my part) my web browser *always* serves up the fresh page
> (with default cache settings in IE 5.5 SP1). I personally have not
> experienced a problem with a static cached document being out of date.

I have over 1000 sites using my shopping scripts and I want to give best advice
to users with pricing information on their pages that may become out of date
while in cache.

I shall advise users with access to ASP or Perl of ways in which they can adapt
sensitive pages to send the more effective (than META tags) http header.

Any advice gratefully received......

Rodney

> Or are you maybe interested in pages that are left open for a long time
> refreshing themselves after a certain period of time?

No.

--
Shop at ssistant Add-ons and Developer Workshops
http://www.aflyingstart.net/addons/

Enquiries regarding Shop at ssistant Classic training :
Call 01256 880770

Rodney Myers
Based in Oxford, England
Technical Director, Shop at ssistant eCommerce Solutions