[Javascript] Layers

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 03:27:26 CDT 2001

>function checkBrowser()
>{
>	if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MS") != -1)
>	{

*** Don't use a browser detect, use a support detect. ***

This function does not work in Netscape 6, Opera and Konqueror while they
can easily handle the script. Why don't you give them a chance to execute
it, too?

For information on how to avoid this, see
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?support.html (for general info about
support detection) and
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?dom.html (the three DOMs you need
for cross-browser DHTML).

This is really a very important topic, so please read these pages carefully.

>Can anyone see the flaw that would cause netscape to crash? This works fine
>in IE.

The flaw is not in the JavaScript, probably in the style sheets.

Step 1) Remove all border declarations from the style sheets, see if that
helps.
Step 2) If it doesn't, try to reduce the number of layers (or do you have
only 2?)
Step 3) If it still doesn't work, post a URL so we can take a look.

ppk