[Javascript] Closing pop-up window on form submit

Jay Wright jwright at once.com
Mon Sep 24 17:56:20 CDT 2001

I have created a small set of web pages, that will open a pop-up window with
javascript, present the user a form, and then, on submit, close the pop-up
window and reload the main site page.
Below is the form code that I am using. This works, except, of course, that
the data is never POSTED to /content_upload.jsp. The window closes and the
"opener" web page is reloaded with "/main_page.jsp", but the data is never
processed.
What is the work around. Is there something I can do in the form that will
allow the post to take place before closing the page. Or is there something
I can do in the /content_upload.jsp that would do the processing and then
close the window?
Looking for a JavaScript guru to lend a little advice. Thanks,
Jay
PS. Yes, I do need enctype to be multipart, this form is simplified, but
many of them load images.
<form action="/content_upload.jsp" method="post"
enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="text" name="data"><br/>
input type="submit" name="submit" value="Finish"
onClick="self.close();opener.location.href='/main_page.jsp'"><br>
</form>