[Javascript] Poorly documented facet of cross-frame execution

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:41:35 CDT 2003

>   However, the bit about NOT using the document appendage to the DOM
>description of an item in the header is demonstrably true (and will break
>if you insert it).

I don't dispute the fact, merely your explanation (I assume you're talking
about the cross-frame example here).

>   Also, if you write a tree-walk of the elements within a document.form in
>lieu of the simple-minded 'alert' I suggested, you'll often discover that
>some of the elements really AREN'T there (as I contended).

Odd. I never had the slightest problem with accessing form fields onLoad,
and I've done it countless times. Changing styles of elements, no problems
either. Can you post an example script?

> >From some preliminary testing, the easiest demos to build are ones in
>which multi-frame documents with lots of fields in every frame are used.
>The onLoad event gets triggered (it seems) when every frame is referenced
>by the parent frameset, and NOT when every field in every frame document is
>complete.  Thus, the frames at the bottom of the window are often only
>half-done when the event-handler is invoked.  Try it!  You'll see!

That's right, an onLoad in a frameset can cause quite some problems. I've
learned to avoid them.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/