[Javascript]Passive,Javascript-callable,in-line(PHP)codereferences wit

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Thu Apr 10 11:37:08 CDT 2003

To Peter-Paul Koch, et al:

  After trying a number of different tweaks on the code samples you
schlepped me the other day (and reviewing your discussion of the portability
issues on your homepage), I came up with the following hybrid solution:

<head>
    <title>bogus</title>
    <script language='JavaScript'>
    <!--
        var theSrc;
        function invoke(theSrc) {
            if (!theSrc) { return -1; }
            if (theSrc == '') { return -1; }
            wrapper.style.display = "none";
            program.location.href = theSrc;
            wrapper.style.display = "inline";
        }
    // -->
    </script>
</head>
    <form name='theForm'>
valign='top'>
                    <input type='button' value='invoke PHP'
onClick='invoke("./myCode.php")'>
            <iframe id='program' name='program' src='' align='center'
height="0" width="0" scrolling='no'
                        style='border: 0; border-style: none; margin-top:
6px'></iframe>
    </form>

... and myCode.php can be any non-displaying PHP program.  I'm assuming
everything would work the same for
any other server-side language.  I'm still exploring passing references
between the interior iframe and the outside world (and vice-versa, of
course), but this little bit has given me confidence in the basic approach.
Quite frankly, I'm not even sure that the wrapper.style.display = xxx
statements are even necessary for non-displaying routines, but I need to
check out a number of issues before I can say this with any confidence.

  Another related matter: do you think that the PHP (or whatever) code could
be referenced inside anchor declarations within the span/iframe?  It would
be SO nice not to have to tote 52 niggly little PHP programs around with the
application, and I don't want to schlepp every PHP subroutine into a giant
humongous 'common' block, particularly so if any given usage only requires 6
routines to operate.  (the 'include' directives for such an approach add
enormously to the application memory requirements, primarily on the server).

-- Dave Lovering

-- Dave Lovering