[Javascript] Re: Standards

Rodney Myers rodney at aflyingstart.net
Fri Apr 11 12:11:54 CDT 2003

Jaime,

I had never heard of this editing feature and it does seem to be MSIE only.

I can think of an immediate application in an offline MSIE context.
Orders from my website now come to me as HTML files attached to emails.
If I save the incoming file order.html and run a special page/script I can
- add an invoice number
- strip some of the 'tail'
- add a footer block
- save it  with that number in the file name. (This uses FileSystemObject)

Using this editing feature, I could, before printing, add a quick note
to the client - bearing in mind no-one can read my handwriting including
myself.
All I need do is add the div to the server code that constructs the
incoming file or the footer addendum.

Also, using script to access the input text in a DIV with ID/name it
would be possible to extract the input data.
This could then be written to a local file using FileSystemObject, or
inserted into hidden form inputs and sent to a remote script
I don't think I shall actually do this one any time soon, but who knows...

Rodney

--
PS. I have just bought a licence for Mike Chen's
BizAutomator. If you have to answer routine

Rodney