[Javascript] contenteditable

Andrew Gibson andyg at ihug.co.nz
Fri Apr 11 18:18:32 CDT 2003

I still don't understand it. I mean, of course JavaScript is useful for lots
of reasons, what I'm asking is about this particular feature that lets you
edit the content of a web page. What good is it for, if you cannot save what
you typed? If you could refer to this edited content with JavaScript and
then process it, send it to a server, anything, but if not, it's just as
useful as a notepad that won't let you save what you just edited...

Well, the big plus about Content editable, is not so much that you can type
into the <div> but that you can then manipulate the contents.....
1.  Type in whatever
2.  Select the text then hit a button turning the text into bold, or a list
, just like in word or front page.
3.  If you had a message board, you could have the user save the innerHTML
of the div, and so have the message display in HTML...quite useful....
Just what yahoo and hotmail have started using with their rich text format
web mail.

And thats just one advantage of using contenteditable, and one advantage of
useing MSIE.

I would argue that as long as the client machine can do useful work without
burdening the server, more power to it.  If that means letting the user type
in stuff, have it heavily preprocessed, (and maybe defeat the need for
submitting

I would (cheekily) tend to argue its not my responsibility to ensure the
client doesn't overburden the server. It the server responsibility (the
manufacturer) to ensure it can handle the client machine.

Andrew GIbson