[Javascript] ssi, layers, table alternative to frames

Michael Dougherty Michael_Dougherty at PBP.com
Mon Apr 14 14:53:35 CDT 2003

I'm not sure exactly what your use is...

  My understanding is that frames were used to make the presentation of
several pages easier to support. ie: define the frame with a "Top Logo",
"Left Navbar", "Bottom Navbar", and only the "Content" area is dynamic.
This would allow the Logo and navbars to be tweaked in their respective
single .htm(l) file, while the content would be managed separately.

  I'm sure you're already aware of the problems associated with using
frames...

  The same page layout can be generated with server side includes (ssi) like
you mentioned.  This still allows a single storage for the "Top Logo" and
"Left Navbar" etc., but removes many of the frame-problems.  Each page of
content gets it's own URL - so you can bookmark/favorite individual pages
(one of my biggest complaints about framed sites) and the navigation never
has to worry about which frame to target.

When you strip out all the extra formatting, this table looks a great deal
like a frameset.  The content.asp file could be reading the URL/Querystring
to determine what to display as dynamic content.

FYI: my experience is primarily Microsoft.  The IIS web server will first
parse your #include directives first, then process all the ASP code, then
send the resulting HTML to the browser.  So you won't be able to do a
"dynamic include" using ASP  [ex: <!-- #include virtual="/inc/content<%
=lcContentIndex %>.asp" --> just won't work]

My solution is to research IIS5/ASP3's server.execute - which is a pretty
workable equivalent.

I'm so off-topic and rambling, i'm going to stop now :)