[Javascript] ssi, layers, table alternative to frames

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Mon Apr 14 23:21:45 CDT 2003

Uh... maybe not.  Unpatched software (or even heavily patched software) is
not my favorite thing on the security hit-parade either.  I'm not going to
debate which security issue is the one of greatest concern -- there are guys
at CERT and CIAC who get paid a hell of a lot more than I do to think about
that.  However, just imagine for a moment if someone could force an SSI
to achieve the following result:

<tt>
<!--#exec cmd="cat /etc/passwd" -->
</tt>

Mind you, it wouldn't execute worth a darn, but it sure would whet the appetites
of all those chaps with cracker.2.0.1 and the like waiting in anticipation.  I
deliberately picked one of the more obvious cases of abusing an SSI on a blatantly
misconfigured web server [which isn't a very fair comparison], but even some
innocuous SSI's can be "turned" by exotic syntax tricks into doing some dirty work.

Well, now that we're 180 miles away from JavaScript land, I think I'll rest a
spell, and wait for the NSA guys to knock on my door.

-- Dave Lovering