[Javascript] Question regarding Netscape

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Tue Apr 15 09:12:34 CDT 2003

Hmmm... I can't help but think that SOMEWHERE there's somebody who
writes web pages as large and complex as mine.

For now, I'll try the method of using multiple "onLoad" handlers for
each frame/document, all reporting back to a routine in the parent
window -- sort of like the cascaded lights on a speedway starting
line.  When all of the 'onLoads' check in, we will presume that
everything is done [at least until proven otherwise].  By hanging
a "watch" event on the value of this counter, we can trigger a global
"onLoad" equivalent.  I already know with absolute and reproducible
certainty that using an onLoad at the top frameset level is absolutely
useless, and this method seems far more plausible.

'onLoad' (however crude) is at least portable, whereas readyState only works
for IE5.5+, or so I am given to understand.

Thanks to Chris, Paul, Andy, et al who persuaded me to get off my hump and
try the obvious.

-- Dave Lovering