[Javascript] Scrolling Tables revisited

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Mon Aug 4 08:39:33 CDT 2003

I've got another little conundrum that's been bothering me...

I need to do a scrolling table with only integer numbers of lines visible
(no clipping at the bottom or top), and each line (which may contain an
icon) is the same height.
The scrolling mechanism by itself is fairly easy:  split the table into a
header and a body, put the body into a div with a style declaration
including 'overflow: auto', and we're off.
The problem is that the usually recommended technique of ensuring integer
line scrolling doesn't seem to work (I'm primarily targeting IE6+), as
neither the scrollAmount nor the
clipping parameters fly as advertised.  Clearly, the exact structure is
sensitive to minor variations in syntax, order, etc.

Does somebody have a NICE demo somewhere that I can deconstruct for this?
I've gone through 40+ web sites looking for "hints" as to how this should be
done, and so far
the experts appear clueless.  (Pure HTML + Javascript + CSS please: no funky
ASP or other exotica need apply).

-- Dave Lovering