[Javascript] Image position in the form

Hakan M. hakan at backbase.com
Wed Dec 17 03:58:54 CST 2003

This is a function I've been working on, it seems to work in 99% of the
cases, but I'm still getting a slight offset in some scenarios. The
offset seem to occur (no extensive testing yet) when the element is
deeply nested in tables and other elements that have "special"
padding/margin/offset-values.

I'm using internal pointer for BROWSER_SCROLL_LEFT and
BROWSER_SCROLL_TOP. If you are running Mozilla/IE6 in quirks mode,
you'll find these values in document.body.scrollLeft/scrollTop;, and in
standards compliant mode, they can be found in
document.documentElement.scrollLeft/scrollTop.

Hope this helps.
Hakan

function GetXY(oElement) {

	var oOrgElm = oElement;

	var iX=0;
	var iY=0;
	var iCount;
	var oElement2;
	var oElementOffset = oElement.offsetParent;

	while(oElement) {
		oElement2 = oElement.parentNode;
		if(oElementOffset == oElement) {
			iX += oElement.offsetLeft;
			iY += oElement.offsetTop;
			// Add for borders
			iY += parseInt2(oElement.style.borderTopWidth);
			iX += parseInt2(oElement.style.borderLeftWidth);
			// Add for scrolling
			iX -= parseInt2(oElement.scrollLeft);
			iY -= parseInt2(oElement.scrollTop);
			// Get the next offsetParent
			oElementOffset = oElementOffset.offsetParent;
		}
		else {
			iX -= parseInt2(oElement.scrollLeft);
			iY -= parseInt2(oElement.scrollTop);