[Javascript] (no subject)

Mark mark_weinstock at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 21:38:05 CST 2003

Why are you on a mailing list like this? The purpose is to share
information, not say "I know the answer, but you have to make it
worth my while."

First, calling somene else stupid, espeically without showing what he
may or may not have said, is pretty immature.

Second, doing what this person wants to do would essentially allow
someone to post malicious code on a web site, and bypass any modicum
of security that the browser provides.

 From a technical perspective, if this is on an intranet, then you
should be able to teach users to open the file. If it's on the
Internet, you can't be sure that any user has the particular software
package that you want them to open the file with.

--- Kingx <Kingx at insightbb.com> wrote:
> Hello!  I've been lurking for a while as I learn JS :)
>
> Is it possible to open a local program (such as MS Word on the C:
> drive)
> from a Web page?  I tried creating a shortcut and opening that, but
> I always
> get the "Save to disk or open here" prompt.... I know what to do at
> that
> prompt, but another person may not.  Any ideas on how to do this?
> Can
> JavaScript handle this?  Thanks for your help!

> Above is your question, I see you asked the wrong person, obviously
> that guy is pretty stupid, I have the code which allows such
> things, if you want it let me know , under one condition you must
> trade with  me knowledge on something i do not know how to do, i
> will tell more in our next letter.
> kx

=====
Mark Weinstock