[Javascript] automated firing off emails

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Mon Mar 17 16:25:58 CST 2003

As a matter of fact, I have set up automatic e-mail messaging systems (for
network emergencies, etc.), but the mail always originates on the server
end.  Yes, you can build out a "full" mailto: form directive, attach it to a
timer (or a button, or a ... ), and have it launch from the client [it is
virtually ALWAYS true that JavaScript executes on the client host, not the
server], but the various issues involved usually makes this unwise.  On the
other hand, the server side has extensive logging, the mail application
requires source authentication of the process, and so forth -- making it a
much safer (and easier!) thing to arrange.

-- Dave Lovering