[Javascript] Re: ComboBox

Chris Tifer christ at saeweb.com
Fri Mar 21 07:58:15 CST 2003

Do as I suggested then where on the onKeyUp event of the <INPUT> element
you take the string and loop through the elements in your <SELECT> looking
for that value.

Here's a simple example you can look at to see what I'm talking about:

<HTML>

<head>
</head>

<form name="Test1">

<input type="text" name="myText" onKeyUp="searchSelect('Test1', 'mySelect',
this.value)">

<SELECT name="mySelect">
 <OPTION VALUE="PostOffice">PostOffice
 <OPTION VALUE="GoPostal">GoPostal
 <OPTION VALUE="Postman">Postman
</SELECT>
</form>

<script language="Javascript">

function searchSelect(strMyForm, strMyEl, strText){
 var objForm = document.forms[strMyForm]
 var objEl = objForm.elements[strMyEl]
 if(strText.length > 0){
  for(var x = 0; x < objEl.options.length; x++){
   if(objEl.options[x].value.toLowerCase().indexOf(strText.toLowerCase()) >=
0){
    //alert(objEl.options[x].value.indexOf(strText))
    objEl.options[x].selected = true
    return
</script>

</HTML>