[Javascript] IPAddress

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Fri Mar 21 12:48:15 CST 2003

... However, even Apache Servers can opt to disable support for SSI,
depending on the values within their respective httpd.conf files.

  For SSI to work on a given server (Apache or otherwise), several
conditions must be met:

  (1)    There must be an 'AddHandler' directive of the proper sort
underneath the desired ServerName:

                AddHandler    server-parsed .shtml

  (2)    There must be a SetHandler directive that points to a given
directory where such scripts can live:

                <Directory "/home/secure/pub/shtml">
                     Options +Includes
                     SetHandler server-parsed
                </Directory>

  (3)    For broad SSI support, the Options list noted above must NOT
include the following directive:

                    IncludesNOEXEC

           If it does, it will effectively disable the 'exec' functions,
which constitute about 80% of the SSI suite

  (4)    Lastly, there must be an AddType directive which enables
recognition of the desired shtml extension:

                    AddType text/html .shtml

If ANY of these are not done, or done in the wrong order, then SSI's won't
work at all, or will work with severe restrictions.  I might add that the
newest implementations of Apache have these features turned OFF by
default -- no doubt a consequence of the heightened security consciousness
that the current world environment has engendered.

  -- Dave Lovering