[Javascript] Disabling focus and selection on static text objects

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Tue Mar 25 09:01:25 CST 2003

I wonder -- does anybody know how to suppress the selection and/or focus on screen widgets (like text labels in front of inputs, etc.)?  I've tried the "usual" methods of defining onFocus='this.blur()' for everything which is purely window dressing, but
it makes no difference.  Same deal with 'readonly' and 'disable'.

Back in the early Precambrian, Netscape had a directive (which if memory serves was 'noselect') which you could tack into the contents of any tag-field descriptor to permanently suppress focus from its widget.  Obviously, this doesn't exist anymore, but
I'd like something that resembles it functionally.

This problem manifests whenever someone drags the mouse too quickly over the active page and half the screen gets 'selected', including things which should never get the focus at all.  Also, I'd like to disable the means for punks to double-click or
drag-select labels just to mess up my head.

-- Dave Lovering