[Javascript] Opening windows with automatic scrollbars

Jaime Iniesta jaime at alazan.com
Wed Mar 26 03:20:13 CST 2003

OK, here's what I've learned from your tips and my experiments...

There's no difference between opening a new window with scrollbars=1,
scrollbars=2, scrollbars=3 or scrollbars=-1 . They all behave just like
scrollbars=1.

The only choices are: scrollbars=0, which means "don't show scrollbars even
if you need them", and scrollbars=1 (or non-zero), which means "show
scrollbars if needed".

When using scrollbars=1, Internet Explorer (5 and 6) shows a faded scrollbar
even if there's no need for it, it just reserves the space. All other
browsers I tried are better, as they don't show the scrollbar until needed
(Netscape 4, 7, Opera).

Other thing, using <body scroll=auto> on the HTML you're opening may be
useful, but only for Internet Explorer (other browsers use the scrollbars
tag on the open statement, instead of the parameter on the body tag). And
you only can use it when you're opening an HTML page, not when you're
opening directly an image.

Thanks for all,

Jaime