[Javascript] Single vs. Double quotes in Javascript

Håkan Magnusson hakan at backbase.com
Fri Nov 14 09:52:43 CST 2003

 > I let both run while I went on a two hour lecture.... They were still
 > not finished when I came home...

Then your test differs from the one I originally posted, or you're
running it on some ancient hardware. The "original" test will take less
than a second in Mozilla, several seconds in IE, but it doesn't
hang/kill any browser (at least not on any computer where I'm at right now).

 > Wait it out? I don't want a program to consume 100% CPU
 > while I'm trying to use the computer!

Kind of hard to avoid when running tests like this, isn't it?

 > Heh. Some scripting languages see a difference between single qouted
 > and double qouted strings. For example, in Ruby double quoted strings
 > are parsed, which means that program entities and such within them are
 > replaced with their values. That makes a speed difference.

Ruby, PHP, Perl, the list goes on.