[Javascript] How to refer to an HTML element's ID attribute

Robert Pollard rpollard at apple.com
Fri Nov 14 11:00:48 CST 2003

I apologize for being vague but I thought I would get a greater variety
of responses since I was looking for several different answers.

What I needed was to get the value of an element by referring to its'
ID attribute.  What I wound up doing was using something like
document.getElementById("FeePercent").value.  I later found out this
wasn't compatible with all browsers (Netscape 4.7) that we are using.

The question I have is what is the most compatible way of referring to
the HTML ID attribute?  Is there a way to refer to the element with the
ID of "FeePercent" in without using the DOM function?

Thanks for everyones response.  They have been quite helpful.

-- Robert Pollard